Tuesday, April 27

Volcanoes and mice, who would have thunk it?!

On April 17th I was meant to leave for Alberta Canada but due to this Volcano in Iceland that did not happen, the strange thing is I think Harry knew it was not going to happen as well...

The night before when I put him and Elspeth to bed I was talking to them (as I do, call me mad) and Harry walked to the crate door and took my hand in his mouth which was a bit odd and then he put it on the floor or his crate and proceeded to bury it in the pine litter...

It was all very odd. He used one of his paws as a guide of where to nose the litter up to which he never does with his toys...He then peed on the litter he piled on my hand, that I did not like but it was also odd as he uses his litter tray 99% of the time (the other 1% is when he misses as Elspeth is in there or I am cleaning it out.). After he did that I took my hand out of the pile and left the room to wash my hands. Harry was not happy with this, the whole time I was out of the room he gekkered for me which was odd as I always put him to bed at the same time and he knows that is bed time.

I probably should not have but I went back in to see him and quite him down. He was being really sweet which he is more and more the more time I have him, he let me pet him and scratch him behind the ears, even brush him. I then gave him and the sleeping Elspeth a piece of duck jerky (home made) and went off to bed.

That night my partner said he heard nibbling under the bed, I thought he was hearing things so rolled over and went to sleep. I was then woken up by him turning on the light and saying that there was something under the bed. He put down one of Harry and Elspeth's treats and waited with the lights out and the treat vanished!

He then decided he was going to pull out the wicker drawers from under our bed to find this 'something' and as he did so I saw something run past the foot of the bed out the corner of my eye! It was the size of a mouse.

I am a bit soft when it comes to mice, I really do like them and I could not bare to put down a humane trap only to come back from Canada (at this point the plane was still meant to fly) and find a mouse starved to death inside it so I was going to leave it until I came home.

Well at 4am I went to check to see if the plane was going to fly and it said the dreaded word 'CANCELLED'...Lovely....

The next day I talked to someone of the exotic keepers forum about what to do about this mouse, it seems that wild mice are nowhere as nice as fancy mice and can really cause some damage to your house and what not so it is best to catch them ASAP so I put down the humane trap filled with stuff I know my African Pygmy dormice like.

On the morning of the 19th I was getting ready and Harry and Elspeth were out and about as normal. I left them loose when I went to brush my teeth. Harry ran down stairs to his bedtime crate faster then I have ever seen him run and started digging in there.

I put him and Elspeth in their crate so I could go out and sort out a refund with the travel agent.

Upon my return home Elspeth trotted out of the crate like normal and out of the room looking for my partner but Harry was sat at the back of the crate looking shifty. I climbed into the crate to see what he had. He turnt round, rummaged in the kitty litter and emerged with a dead mouse in his mouth and a smile on his face.

I am quite honoured that he showed me as normally if he hides something he will not show anyone but that day he wanted to show everyone how he had slain the evil mouse who was intruding in Mummy and Daddy's room starting with me.

Today is the 27th and I only yesterday managed to get Harry to allow me to take his mouse off him. I thought it was quite cute how he was so proud of it he did not even eat it...Bit icky as well though.

No comments:

Post a Comment